Saturday, September 17, 2011

Am I really crazy to use cloth diapers?

The most common reactions I get when I tell people I use cloth diapers are:
  1. "omg...good job, way too much work for me though!"
    or
  2. "Eww, why?"
Which makes me wonder if I really am crazy for using them. I'm not going to go on and on about the benefits of using cloth diapers...in this post. But I just can't wrap my head around why I get so many crazy looks when I tell people, or when they see my daughters diapers or even at craft fairs or the market where I sell them. Actually, and craft fairs I get a lot of "Is this a diaper cover to go over normal diapers?" To which I reply "No, that's a diaper" followed by the sound of pregnant a woman's mind exploding.

I've also experienced a lot of great responses in the strangest places....like the Wal-Mart change table. There was young mom waiting behind us to change her newborn and she was so fascinated with our diapers. She actually ended up buying an entire stash of cloth diapers, which made me feel super great. It's fun converting people, what can I say! I mostly get older women, giving me the thumbs up and it's always because of the innovations the cloth diapers of today have. All-in-one styles and hybrids et all, they always say "Now if only they had that in my day!" I liked the quote my own grandma said the most "These diapers are so awesome, Courtney. I can't believe not one person in my generation thought of this when our kids were in diapers!"

And on the flip side, I've actually got some extremely rude mamas commenting as well. One even went so far as to email my business contact email basically berating me for using, let alone selling, cloth diapers.

But that's the thing, I don't care if someone uses disposables. It's your choice, cool, rock it out. The only reason I consider myself a cloth diaper advocate is not because I think disposable diapers are the devil and everyone should always use cloth no matter what. That's not it at all. I think that parents need to know they have the choice. Cloth diapers should be something they have available in every hospital, they should be brought up at every pre-natal class for new parents. It's just something that people should know about and make their own informed decision. I know when I was pregnant and until Lily was about a month old, I had NO clue people still used cloth diapers let alone the cool diapers they have now.

A lot of parents I know use cloth AND disposables. Which is awesome too. I know that disposables have a time and place. (Like camping, I've been there, done that and don't want to do it again).

It's all a matter of choice, but the problem is that most parents don't even know they have a choice. Some parents could really benefit from using cloth too, like low income earners. And I know the cost of some cloth diapers can seem like a hefty thing to fork over all at once. But you don't have to do it all at once, but that's a whole different blog post. I've tallied up the costs of disposables and disposable wipes compared to cloth diapers numerous times and for me, cloth diapers always come out the clear winners. Disposables are REALLY expensive here in Canada. (You can actually see the breakdown for my family right here.)

At the end of the day, all they are is a shit receptacle. All I want is for parents to have the choice. Have an open mind and listen to the benefits of cloth diapers and let a cloth user demystify some of the myths surrounding them for you and make an informed decision.

So no...I am not crazy for using cloth. It works for my family, and I find that it makes changing diapers slightly more enjoyable. Changing diapers is not something I really enjoy doing, but it's something I have to do and why not make it better if I can? Plus who could so no to how friggen adorable they are on her?!


2 comments:

  1. I am here from Comment Love and saying HI! Your baby girl is adorable btw!!! :)
    Hope you have a wonderful day! It is raining here in Washington State, but then that is no surprise! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there!!
    I actually know quite a few people who use cloth diapers. I don't, but it's because I'm lazy. LOL. I like the convenience, but to each their own. No one should talk down to you for your parenting decisions/choices. We are all different.

    Stopping by from FTLOB

    Lala
    http://esmerlala30.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete